Saturday, October 20, 2007

Bhutan tourism

My last blog on Bhutan. My husband Ed and I were very curious to compare the tourism industry in Bhutan to the one back home in Vermont, because both places are about the same size. And we were actually lucky enough to find recent articles for both countries. Bhutan welcomed 17,000 visitors in 2006 (it limits the number of visitors however) and tourism revenues were $25 million in 2005. On the other hand tourists take 13.4 million trips to Vermont every year, for total revenues of $1.57 billion and has 23,000 hotel rooms. I know, Bhutanese people reading this blog are going to say: "they must be literally invaded by tourists!". Well, may be people in Stowe (a major ski resort here in Vermont) feel that way, but the place where we live and most places in Vermont I believe feel that this is actually a pretty quiet place.
Of course, Vermont can attract people for short stays a lot easier than Bhutan can, but it definitely shows that Bhutan tourism has a lot of space to grow as an industry!

2 comments:

sannainchina@hotmail.com said...

Hi Christine! I couldn't help but to comment on your blogg since I think we actually met in Bhutan! Today I searched internet to find some more facts about this fantastic little country and landed on your blogg. I recognised your tent! We also trekked but other direction, same week, and I think we camped by the lake same night as you did (second night). Your husband told us you had had amzing views earlier that day, coming from the monestary above Thimpu. Anyway, we totally fell in love with the place and absolutely want to go back. My husband and I are from Sweden and we live in Beijing. Isn't it a small world after all....

Sébastien said...

Are you sure you don't want to change the name of your blog to MyAdventureInBhutan?